Thank you to everyone who attended this past Fall Leadership Conference! During the Fall Leadership Conference we discussed LEAP and workplans. If you were unable to attend the Fall Leadership Conference, attached is one document that contains the information that was discussed at the conference. We hope you will spread this information to your chapters as well!
The State Officers from Delaware Technology Student Association (DETSA) in collaboration with officers from Business Professionals of America, DECA, Educator’s Rising, Family Career and Community Leaders of America, HOSA, and SkillsUSA hosted the annual Fall Leadership Conference (FLC) at Delaware Technical Community College on November 29-30, 2018. The FLC was sponsored by the Delaware Department of Education, Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education, and Delaware Technical Community College with 982 participants representing 126 chapters from 55 schools who participated in a series of workshops that emphasized the importance of teamwork, leadership and service through Career and Technical Education. The annual service project collected 396 toys; 221 books; 49 stuffed animals; 48 arts supplies/kits; 20 book bags and $325 in checks for a grand total of more than $7,665 donated to Delaware Toys for Tots.
DETSA Alumni & Former State Officer Becky Williams is working this Fall at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. Her team is applying a newly developed technology, which fundamentally change the dynamic response of systems, to various applications for space, aeronautics, maritime, and more. With this technology, we were able to achieve 20x reduction in heave of a floating wind turbine, when compared to an unmitigated platform. We are now working towards mitigating the vibration of a skin panel of the Space Launch System for a safer flight for our astronauts and payloads. See video here. Becky plans to graduate from the University of Delaware in Mechanical Engineering in the Spring 2019.
The Delaware Career and Technical Student Organizations of BPA, DECA, Educators Rising, FCCLA, HOSA, SkillsUSA, and TSA are excited to announce registration for the Fall Leadership Conference (FLC) is open. The conference will be held at Delaware Technical Community College on November 29 (High School) and November 30 (Middle School). Students will gain skills in leadership through a series of engaging workshops, with this year’s focus being on teamwork.
Location: Delaware Technical Community College – Terry Campus (Dover)
State Officers from each student organization will facilitate a professional development workshop related to their respective organization. Dress code is a collared or button-down shirt, dress pants, and closed-toe shoes.
The annual all CTSO service project is Toys for Tots. Guidance for toy donation: new un-wrapped toys ($10 or above price range) and/or children’s books; Age range 0-12 years old OR donate check made payable to: Marine Toys for Tots Foundation. Toys not accepted for donation include: used toys; toys related to weapons; toys with candy inside; toys with chemicals (i.e., experimental labs, acid, crystal projects, etc.).
Important Planning and Registration Details:
- Save the Date Fall Leadership Conference (FLC) Flyer (NEW)
- Student Permission Forms (NEW)
- Comprehensive Schools: Comprehensive middle schools and high schools may send up to eight (8) students per each CTSO local chapter (BPA, HOSA, TSA, SkillsUSA, etc.)
- Vocational Technical High Schools: Vo-Tech schools may send up to two (2) students per each CTE program content area (business, carpentry, electrical, nurse assisting, welding, etc.)
- Note: Vocational technical teachers/programs will need to coordinate your registration of two (2) students per each CTE program content area with your student activities coordinator who will complete the registration of your two students on your behalf.
- Annual Fall Service Project: The ALL CTSO service project for the FLC will be Toys For Tots
- Payment by Credit Card is preferred. Registration fees are $35.00 per participant. All conference fees must be paid prior to attendance
- Registrations and Changes: Registration and changes made between November 2-9 will incur a $5.00 late fee
- Registration Link
- Credit Card Payment Link
*Note: When registering your chapter use the following naming convention: School Name-CTSO Name. Example: Fifer Middle School-FCCLA (School Name-Organization).
Delaware TSA is starting a statewide Committee Mentoring program! Students in grades 8-11 will have the opportunity to join one of the three state committees (Leadership, Communications, Service) and help the state level achieve their goals. Anyone who is interested in advancing Delaware TSA, state-level service, or becoming a future State Officer should join! Joining this program will help you advance your leadership, directly provide a voice in DETSA, and help make an impact at the state level. It can also give you insight as to how to manage projects, communicate effectively, and serve your community.